Monday 28 May 2012

Some thoughts on my works: CHAIRS

I started noticing alot of abandoned directors chairs , laying on the footpaths of my neighbourhood.
I got it in my head to gather these 'lifeless' frames to re-work and reinvent- patiently bringing them into their next phase.

The idea is that the chairs are coming into their next life: a butterfly from a chrysalis . Each one imperfect- a hand-crafted article; A divergence from the glossy perfection of machine-made objects: a reminder of the crafters presence and intimate contact.

This has been a very intimate and low-tech process, carried out over many days and nights, spread over my lounge room floor. 


When exhibited- I would like the chairs to be like insects trapped within a glass box; suspended in a way that looks... conversational.





No comments:

Post a Comment